Theta File Systems
Theta has three discrete file systems for project data: theta-fs0, Grand, and Eagle. Theta-fs0 is an Intel Enterprise Edition Lustre parallel file system mounted as /lus-projects or /projects. Grand and Eagle are 100 PB Lustre file systems mounted as /grand and /eagle respectively.
Theta also shares a Lustre home file system with Cooley, called swift-home. The home file system is mounted as /home, and should generally be used for small files and any binaries to be run on Theta. The performance of this file system is reasonable, but using it for intensive I/O from the compute nodes is discouraged because I/O from the compute nodes uses the project data file systems, which are fast parallel systems and have far more storage space and greater I/O performance than the home directory space.
The swift-home file system is regularly backed up to tape. The data file system is not backed up. It is the user’s responsibility to ensure that copies of any critical data on the data file system have either been archived to tape or stored elsewhere.
|swift-home||Theta||Cooley||Lustre||/home or /lus/swift/home||Yes||Yes||general use|
|lus-projects||Theta||Lustre||/projects or /lus-projects or /lus/theta-fs0/projects||Yes||No||intensive job output, large files|
|Grand||Theta||Lustre||/grand or /lus/grand/projects||Yes||No||intensive job output, large files|
|Eagle||Theta||Lustre||/eagle or /lus/eagle/projects||Yes||No||community sharing via Globus; intensive job output, large files|
|Node SSD||Theta and thetagpu - compute node only||ext3||/local/scratch (theta)/raid/scratch (thetagpu)||Yes - By Request Only||No||local node scratch during run|
- Created when an allocation (INCITE, Discretionary, etc.) is granted
- Located under /home
- Each home directory is subject to a quota based on user file ownership. The default quota is 50 GB
- Directories on theta-fs0 and Grand are created when an allocation (INCITE, discretionary, etc.) is awarded. Eagle directories can be created as stand-alone allocations. Use the allocation request form to submit requests for an allocation on Eagle or to renew/increase space allocations(quotas)
- Directory paths:
- theta-fs0: /projects or /lus-projects or /lus/theta-fs0/projects
- Grand: /grand or /lus/grand/projects
- Eagle: /eagle or /lus/eagle/projects
These project spaces do not have user quotas but a directory quota, meaning that ALL files contained within a project directory, regardless of the username, cannot exceed the disk space allocation granted to the project. For more information on quotas, see the Disk Quota page.
Local Node SSD
Access to SSDs is disabled by default. Project PIs may request access by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. A use case will need to be provided.
- Local scratch SSD storage on compute nodes for running jobs
- Completely local non-parallel filesystem
- Located at /local/scratch on theta computes and /raid/scratch on thetagpu computes
- Wiped between Cobalt jobs
- No automatic backups provided
- Refer to this page for requesting SSDs in Cobalt.
- Information on the current SSD drives in use is below:
Model SM961 drives
|Model SM961 drives||-------|
|Sequential||Read 3100 MB/s|
|Sequential||Write 700 MB/s|
Model SM951 drives specifications
|Model SM951 drives||------|
|Sequential||Read 2150 MB/s|
|Sequential||Write 1550 MB/s|