The 2016 Margaret Butler Fellowship Call for Applications is open through Monday, February 29, 2016, 5:00 p.m. CST.
Open to outstanding postdoctoral candidates, this computational science fellowship offers an opportunity to work at the forefront of HPC. The fellow will have the opportunity to collaborate with Argonne scientists to use Mira, the ALCF's 10-petaflops supercomputer, to push scientific boundaries in their field of expertise.
The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) invites postdoctoral candidates, both male and female, to apply for the Margaret Butler Fellowship in Computational Science, a one-year appointment that may be renewed for a second year.
ABOUT MARGARET K. BUTLER (1924-2013)
Margaret K. Butler was a pioneering scientist who spent her career at the leading edge of computer science and nuclear energy. She programmed the first digital computers at Argonne National Laboratory in the early 1950s, helped design subsequent ones, and contributed to simulations of nuclear power reactors. Butler was the first female Fellow at the American Nuclear Society and director of the National Energy Software Center. Her analytical talents, vision, and drive led to a lifetime of scientific contributions.
Please read the detailed instructions before applying to help guide your process.
Applications should include the following:
- Cover letter (optional)
- Curriculum vitae, including list of publications, abstracts, and significant presentations
- Statement of research interests
- List of three reference names and email addresses. Referees may be a member of the dissertation committee, colleagues, other supervisors, or other professors, who can attest to your ability and potential.
- Nomination letter (≤2 pages) from Argonne sponsor that addresses the strengths of the candidate, the merits of the research proposal and how the candidate’s work is expected to contribute to or grow Argonne’s research programs.
- Graduate school transcripts
To apply for the fellowship, go to the ANL's postdoc career portal and search for the LCF requisition number #400524. The application deadline for Margaret Butler is 5:00 pm CST on Monday, February 29, 2016.
Questions concerning the application process should be directed to ALCF’s Human Resources Representative, Denise Nelson.