Getting Started on ALCF Resources - Videoconferences
Join our Getting Started videoconference on January 12 or 18 to learn everything you need to know to get your project up and running on ALCF systems.
Users are guided through code building and job submission and learn tips for minimizing wait times and effectively backing up data. This essential videoconference is open to both new and current users.
- Blue Gene/Q hardware overview: Learn about ALCF computing resources and how various system features can benefit your research.
- Building your code: Discover how SoftEnv, compiler wrappers, IBM XL optimization, threading, OpenMP, software libraries, and other tools can help your code achieve top performance on ALCF systems.
- Considerations before you run: Get the basics on ALCF user accounts, allocation management, data storage, and data transfers.
- Hands-on session: Work with ALCF staff to gain experience using the facility’s computing resources.
- Queuing and running: Learn about job scheduling, the Cobalt resource manager, and reservations.
- After your job is submitted: Find out how to check a job’s status, how to terminate a job, and how to alter the parameters of a queued job.
- Potential problems: Be prepared for some common issues with logging in and running jobs.
- Hands-on session: Another opportunity to gain experience using the facility’s computing resources.
For your convenience, this videoconference is offered multiple times. To maximize your experience, we limit each session to a handful of participants. Virtual videoconference "seats" are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis--register today for your preferred date and time.
To join a Getting Started videoconference:
• Step 1: REQUEST an ALCF user account if you don't already have one. Once your account is established, you'll receive a CRYPTOcard token to access our resources during the hands-on sessions of this training. Because setting up your account and shipping your token takes several days, please request your account right away.
• Step 2: REGISTER for a session that fits your schedule today!
2017 Getting Started Videoconference Dates:
- Thursday, January 12, 2017 | 1 - 4:30 p.m. (central)
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017 | 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (central)
March sessions and additional 2017 sessions will be added in the near future.